Thursday, February 14, 2013

Vortex by Julie Cross

Vortex by Julie Cross
Genre: YA Sci-Fi
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication:January 15th, 2013 
Page Count: 368

The Synopsis:
Julie Cross's Vortex is the thrilling second installment of the Tempest series, in which the world hangs in the balance as a lovelorn Jackson must choose who to save.
Jackson Meyer has thrown himself into his role as an agent for Tempest, the shadowy division of the CIA that handles all time-travel-related threats. Despite his heartbreak at losing the love of his life, Jackson has proved himself to be an excellent agent. However, after an accidental run in with Holly—the girl he altered history to save—Jackson is once again reminded of what he's lost. And when Eyewall, an opposing division of the CIA, emerges, Jackson and his fellow agents not only find themselves under attack, but Jackson begins to discover that the world around him has changed and someone knows about his erased relationship with Holly, putting both their lives at risk all over again.


So . . . I really liked the first book, Tempest.  I've had a love for all things time travel even though not all of it makes much sense at times and all of their paradoxes and stuff, but I still love it.  I feel that Cross gives more of an accurate depiction of what time travel is like--and it certainly isn't pretty.  However, I came into this series knowing that it wouldn't be Happily Ever After.  I mean, just look at The Time Traveler's Wife, Doctor Who, etc.  However, their stories are amazing and beautiful, heart-wrenching and moving.

I absolutely adored Jackson in the first book.  He was vulnerable, confused, and head-over-heels in love with Holly.  While I'm not one to usually enjoy books with the romance being the center of the book, I was okay with this one.  Jackson wore his heart on his sleeve and exponentially grew as a character throughout the book.  In Vortex, Jackson is a complete bad ass!  His character development kept on growing!  It was such an amazing experience to read.  I still love him.

And this story was something else!  When I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did.  The fast-paced plot sucked me right in and wouldn't spit me out until the very end.  Plot twists that blew my mind were around every corner.  I know that in my review for Tempest I had said that it was a little predictable, but Vortex was an entirely different story.  Fantastic!  I was shocked, dismayed, confused, upset, elated, and frustrated all in the matter of a few pages.  I felt so many Things!

Sadly, I really can't say much about this book without spoiling it in one way or another, which is really unfortunate.  I'd love to spill out every thought I had about this book, but unless you've read this book, I can't.

In Vortex, Jackson may have changed the course of history for him and others, but he certainly can't control what will happen in the new timeline.  Vortex was such an emotional ride for both characters and readers.  Fast-paced, unpredictable, dangerous, and beautiful was Vortex in all its splendid being.  If you're a fan of sci-fi, time travel, and star-crossed lovers, and have not read this series, I suggest you get on it, folks.  It is an unforgettable story that you wouldn't want to miss.


3 comments:

  1. I'm VERY picky about time travel and Cross is one of the only ones who didn't have me pulling my hair at its ridiculousness. But wowza is it ever complicated! You really gotta keep your head in the game when you're reading this one! I'm also a real big fan of the romance it's so unnorthodox. And that ending! EEEK!! I can't wait for the 3rd one! Great review muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't fall heads over heels in love with Tempest, but I did enjoy it, so I'm really interested to see what Vortex brings! The whole time-travel thing really blew my mind, especially at the end of Tempest. And I'm also not normally fond of stories that have romance as the main aspect, but I think it's seriously well done in Tempest. Also, YAY for character development! I feel like sometimes authors just 'forget' to have some character growth in second books, but I'm so glad to see that's not the case here.

    Fabulous review, Millie! You've gotten me excited about this one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get my hands on this one! I really enjoyed Tempest and now I'm dying to continue the story! Can't wait to read :). Great review Millie!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.